Match Reports

South Coast Flame continue their winning streak after claiming 3 points from Nepean FC this past weekend. The Flame side managed to net two goals on the road with both Lisa Prior and Jessica Cruickshank adding to their personal tally.

Nepean were the first to create an opportunity at goal in the opening minutes of the match. After a risky pass in the back line resulted in an intercept centrally, Hannah Haberman took her chances from 20 metres out. The ball was struck wide failing to test Flame goalkeeper, Ciara Wade.

Flame pounced back in the following minutes creating their own chance at opening the score line. Jessie Abbott crossed a ball into the box that was initially cleaned up by Nepean defence, but the failed clearance fell to the feet of Ashley Kotevski who’s shot went just wide of the post.

The Flame side continued with their attacking flare creating 4 goal scoring opportunities in less than ten minutes.

Some quick combination play in the centre of the pitch resulted in a ball spilling out wide for Paula Mitchell. Mitchell crossed the ball into the box, Lisa Prior then received the ball, beating her player before giving it back to Mitchell. However, Mitchell’s first time shot skewed off target.

In 35th minute, Flame left the crowd on the edge of their seats after the ball was saved off the line by the Nepean’s recovering defence. Kellie McIntyre sent a long-range diagonal ball into box again falling to the feet of Prior. This time Prior draws the keeper and places the ball on target although couldn’t slip it past Nepean defender, Kelsea Nash.

Though, the Flame side was eventually rewarded for their attacking pressure opening the score line in the 36th minute. A beautifully placed corner from Ruby Blanch fell right into dangerous territory leaving both teams scrambling for a touch. Prior managed to get enough on the ball to send it into the back of the net taking her side into the lead.

The home attempted to even the score line right before the half time whistle with a wishful shot from 40 metres out. Yet the ball fell safety into the hands of Wade.

The Flame side dominated the half maintaining majority of the possession and creating various chances, although couldn’t seem to polish more than one of them off. Still the away side head into the second half with a 1-0 lead.

In the opening minutes of the second half Nepean worked to threaten the away sides lead with potentially their most convincing chance of the game.  After some short combination play in the final third the ball was played to Tahila Mitchell outside the box who forced Wade to make a save initially parrying the shot before scoping it up.

South Coast Flame continued to create chances in the second half often through penetrating balls into the final third for the speed of Cruickshank and Mitchell to capitalise on.

And in the 83rd minute Flame did just that. After a beautifully timed ball from Cristina Barraza into the path of Cruickshank we saw Cruickshank driving towards goal and comfortably slotting the ball past the keeper.

Notably, Flame defended their goal with intent denying the Nepean side from gaining any opportunities in the box during the full 90 minutes, forcing them to shoot from 20 plus metres out.

A composed effort from the Flame side saw them maintain their lead and drive back down the coast with another 3 points.



Comments are closed.