Match Reports

UNSW edged out South Coast Flame 3-2 at Ian McLennan Park in what was an entertaining match. Despite Flame going toe to toe with the students, UNSW managed to score three stunning goals to keep the hosts at bay.

It was a positive start to the game from both sides however as early as the fifth minute, Uni’s Gabriele Trinco unleashed a volley from all of 30 yards that incredibly found the top corner leaving the home fans a little stunned.

Flame weren’t about to lie down. On 15 minutes, some great lead up play from Ned Glasgow saw him deliver a dangerous ball in the box. Matthew Mazevski managed to get a head on it however it went just wide. Just two minutes later, Mazevski nearly capitlised on a slip from Mark Murphy as he found himself through on goal however Yanni Mavrikis pulled off a fine save to deny Flame on that occasion.

Flame were in the ascendancy after falling behind and threatening regularly. Lucas Ayala cut inside on 21 minutes to find some space however his shot went straight at Mavrikis.

Flame were finally rewarded on 25 minutes. Some good lead up work down the right saw the ball thrown into the mixer where a scramble ensued. UNSW failed to clear and Louis Miller-Tamsitt was on hand to blast the ball into the back of the net from close range and level the scores.

The equaliser seemed to spark the students as they pushed forward. On 28 minutes, University’s Luke Burke forced a super save out of Luke Morgan as he headed from close range off a set piece.

However, just three minutes later, Flame were once again watching in awe. Matias Santos picked up the ball in midfield and from 25 yards out he drilled a shot that clipped the underside of the cross bar and went in to put the students back in front.

It was 2-1 to UNSW at the break and Flame just couldn’t believe their luck.

The home side came out strong in the second half and played with more urgency. Just eight minutes after the restart, they were once again rewarded for their enterprising football when the ball fell nicely to Jack Balmforth who smashed home from seven yards out to draw the scores level again.

Just as Flame looked to be getting back on top, Callum Fitzpatrick produced yet another stunning effort from the students on 63 minutes. He received ball out wide and from close to the sideline, Fitzpatrick glided a shot straight over Morgan’s head and into the back corner of the goal. It is not often you see a worldie goal in football however we saw three of them from the same team here on the night.

Flame put on some reinforcements including a debut to 17 year old Jyden Harb as they looked to have to come back for a third time.

As perhaps expected, Flame dominated the last 15 minutes and Jack Balmforth came oh so close as his knock down came off the cross bar. With just a few minutes remaining, Mavrikis looked to have upended William Aston as he launched himself at the ball however the referee waived play on.

UNSW held on to record their first win of the 2022 season and Flame were once again left to rue missed opportunities and bad luck.


In the earlier Under 20 fixture, Flame got off to a flying start (on five minutes) with Zander Alston weaving his way through the UNSW defence and cutting it back to Jordan Wright who fired Flame into the lead.

Just five minutes later UNSW leveled as Flame GK Riley Nicholl spilled a powerful shot that saw Dylan Walz pounce.

The visitors went in front courtesy of Christian Sinclair on 29 minutes after a fine save from Nicholl was parried into his path.

Tom Suters put the students 3-1 in front on 54 minutes after he was left unmarked at a corner set piece. Just a minute later though and credit to Flame, they mounted a comeback. Zander Alston doing well to sneak in and poke a loose ball home to reduce the deficit.

On 59 minutes, Jordan Wright got his second of the night and drew the scores level after finding himself in the right place place at the right time. It was now 3-3 with 30 minutes left and all to play for.

Both sides were throwing players forward in search of a winner and just as you thought the game would end in a fair draw, Tom Suters popped up from another set piece to head home what turned out to be a winner on 88 minutes. The students prevailing 4-3 in a thrilling game.

Two competitive and even games where Flame found themselves on the wrong side of the scoreline.



Comments are closed.