Match Reports

Weekend Wrap | vs Canterbury Bankstown FC (Round 3)

South Coast Flame hosted Canterbury Bankstown FC in the NPL 2 NSW Youth on Saturday in very wet conditions at Ian McLennan Park. It was almost a clean sweep for the Flame with four wins and one draw across the day. 


U13 Boys | South Coast Flame 1 Canterbury Bankstown 0 

The under-13s set out to make up for the disappointment of last weekend when the side went down late on to the Newcastle Jets. Flame were put under pressure early on in the game with the opposition opting to press high up the pitch which required Declan Pearce to make a few saves with shots from range. 

While the side were able to make breaks in behind, they were unable to create any chances of substance. 

The front three worked tirelessly throughout the half to create chances but a lack of consistent possession made it difficult to get the buildup play working well. 

Canterbury Bankstown continued to press high and delivered some dangerous balls into the box, but some impressive defending from the hosts prevented the visitors from opening the scoring. 

The teams went into the break unable to be separated. 

The side spoke at halftime about focusing and working on individual player tasks which prompted a much-improved second half. 

Ben Parry was a constant thorn in the side of Canterbury Bankstown causing havoc from one-on-one situations, but the side were still unable to break the deadlock. 

In the final five minutes, the Flame finally opened the scoring as Gabriel Corvalan smashed home at the second attempt to win the points for the hosts. 


Player of the Week: Will Egan-Brown

During a disrupted week of training, Will displayed what Flame is all about, supporting and driving his teammates in terrible weather. He made a strong impact in the game, executing his player tasks to help stabilize the midfield and contribute massively to the team’s victory.


U14 Boys | South Coast Flame 2 Canterbury Bankstown 1

Another week of tough conditions to play in, with the under-14s looking to pick up their first win of the season. 

In what was a tense first half, the Flame boys started to create chances in the front third and came close to scoring, hitting the post after a great header from a well-delivered corner. 

And it was from another corner the side found the breakthrough on the stroke of half time. 

It wasn’t long after the break before the hosts had their second as the pressure from the Flame attacking players forced a turnover and Jake Ueda’s run into the box allowed for his cross-come-shot to sneak in at the near post, his second of the match. 

A defensive lapse from a set-piece allowed Canterbury back into the game, and with a nervy last ten minutes, the Flame boys scraped through with the win.


Player of the Week: Jake Ueda 

Improving on his front third tactical understanding to be in a position to create chances at training and the game. Playing to the Flame’s core principles against Canterbury, highlighted by his desire to win the ball back for his teammates.


U15 Boys | South Coast Flame 2 Canterbury Bankstown 0 

The under-15s boys started the game off very well, controlling the match from start to finish in a 2-0 win over Canterbury. 

The first goal was scored by Yoan Ciugureanu in the first half and Ben Cornford in the second half. 

The boys responded well from the half-time talk and made some small adjustment which ended any goal scoring chances for Canterbury. 

When the side played two-three touch football, they created a lot of changes and left the opposition floundering. 

It was a great team performance from the boys. 


Player of the Week: Noah Crapis & Josh Davidson

Josh was solid at the back, as the side were able to keep a clean sheet. The back four and goalkeeper were well organized.

Noah’s effort and work rate in the middle of the park was great. Always getting on the ball and keeping the game moving.


U16 Boys | South Coast Flame 6 Canterbury Bankstown 2

No match report made available.


U18 Boys | South Coast Flame 2 Canterbury Bankstown 2

The under-18s had a tough start to the game being put under pressure early with the wind playing a part in the early stages.

Six minutes in, Canterbury Bankstown took the lead as a long clearance was deflected goalwards by a Flame defender which eventually fell at the feet of a Canterbury Bankstown attacker who finished well.

Flame responded to the early setback with smart play down the right flank in the tenth minute.

Ned Glasgow crossed to an advancing Noah Lehn in the box, who earned a penalty for the home side.

Glasgow sent the keeper the wrong way and restored parity in the match.

The visitors continued to put pressure on the Flame defence but some strong defending from the back four and some important saves from keeper Matthew Gazivoda prevented the hosts from going behind again.

However, with a little over ten minutes in the first half to play, the hosts conceded a freekick which later resulted in the concession of a second goal for the Flame seeing the side go into the break 1-2 down. 

A more enthusiastic effort by the Flame was evident in the second half, particularly in midfield.

The Flame were winning more one-on-one challenges with the side having chances through Corey Burling and Alex Farah.

Flame’s defenders continued to hold off the physical Canterbury Bankstown front line.

A defensive stop by Aiden Chard in the 65th minute fell to midfielder Luke Hoefsloot who quickly promoted the ball forward towards Burling in the front third.

Burling’s pressure resulted in a defensive error as he collected the loose ball and sent a shot past the Canterbury Bankstown keeper to level the scores once more. 

A solid effort by the Flame to come from behind in very challenging conditions.



Photo: Bec Owen



Comments are closed.