Match Reports, News


South Coast Flame played out a thrilling 3-3 draw with Prospect United on a windy night at Ian McLennan Park, in what was one of the most entertaining games of the season The game was brought to life in the second half, with 5 goals being scored in the second period of play. Two goals from either side in stoppage time ensured that both sides would take a point from the game.

South Coast have dropped to seventh on the ladder but are only one point away from third spot – however other teams have games-in-hand over the Flame.

In comparison to the second half, the first half was relatively quiet for the majority of the time – however both teams did have their chances.

Alex Boardman denied Prospect a certain goal in the 21st minute, as he produced a brilliant block on the edge of the six yard box to keep the teams level.

Louis Connell produced a brilliant chance in the 40th minute where he was able to beat his player and set up Yuki Mandai for a shot, but Mandai’s shot somehow missed the goal.

South Coast’s first goal came right before half time through Julio Mushaba, after he was able to outrageously chip the ball over Mario Farias to give the home side the lead. This ensured that the Flame went into the sheds in the ascendency.

Matt White produced a heroic save in the 60th minute after blocking a short-range shot from Brett Stephens, and denying a certain goal.

South Coast produced the majority of chances following this. In the 64th minute, Connell was able to feed the ball into the path of Hiroaki Ushijima – before the Japanese attacker was able to beat Prospect’s defence and shoot. Ushijima’s shot that followed sailed over the bar.

Somehow, the Flame couldn’t convert their chances and therefore weren’t able to increase their lead.

Prospect punished the Flame’s wastefulness in front of goal when they scored two quick-fire goals in the 72nd minute. Daniel Vukovic and Josh Rofaell scored the goals, meaning that South Coast had to score if they wanted to salvage anything from this match.

The Flame did just that in the 77th minute, after Ushijima was able to tap home a parried shot – which was originally struck by Connell. The match was brought to life, in the terrible conditions.

Prospect were awarded a penalty in the 81st minute for what seemed to be an elbow connecting with one of their players. Heroically, White stepped up to the plate and produced a fantastic save to keep his side in the game – and set up a grandstand finish.

Prospect regained the lead in the 93rd minute after Rofaell was able to cross the ball from the right-wing into the path of Stephen Vukovic – who tapped the ball home into the net.

The match seemed to be over, before the Flame were awarded a penalty in the 5th minute of stoppage time for a handball in the box. Matthew Mazevski made no mistake in finishing the penalty and levelling the game once again, but it turned out to be the last kick of the match.

Our U/20’s continued their unbeaten run after defeating Prospect 3-1 in the U/20’s match. Prospect took the lead within 20 seconds after kick-off, before South Coast scored 3 unanswered goals to put the game to bed. South Coast’s unbeaten run has increased to 8 games, however they will look to make it 9 games in a row when they head up to Western Sydney on Wednesday night to play their Round 13 fixture against FC Gazy Auburn.

Our U/18’s comfortably accounted for Prospect in the earliest game to run out 3-0 winners.  The side currently sits in 6th, however they could force themselves into the top 5 with a win over FC Gazy Auburn on Wednesday night.

South Coast’s U/20’s and U/18’s will play their Round 13 catch-up fixture against FC Gazy Auburn at William Lawson Park on Wednesday night. U/18’s kick off at 6:30pm and U/20’s kick off at 8:15pm.

The Flame have a bye round next weekend, however they return to Ian McLennan Park to play Hurstville City Minotaurs on Saturday the 27th of July. U/18’s kick off at 3pm, U/20’s kick off at 5pm and First Grade kicks off at 7pm.

Report by Jarrod Pollard.


Comments are closed.